Thursday 13 August 2009

Door hangers explained!

There have been some questions about door hangers, so I thought I'd clear it up for y'all!

In the USA, the mail boxes (typically at the end of people's drives) belong to the American Postal Service, so it's therefore illegal to put anything into these mail boxes, or stick or hang anything on them. Because they have mailboxes, no one has letter boxes in their front doors, and therefore the best alternative to a leaflet is a door hanger. Think of a hotel "do not disturb" sign - and that's a door hanger! Now picture the "do not disturb" sign with a Slimming World design - and that's a Slimming World door hanger!

Carol and I have found that the time to physically hang the hanger on each door is quicker than putting a leaflet through each door, however as you'll know from earlier blog entries, the houses are typically bigger here, so the walk between each house takes longer. Also, the big difference is the weather. With temperatures currently around 84 degrees in the morning, rising to an average of 102 degrees in the afternoon and not starting to cool down until around 8pm, it's hot - damn hot! The maximum time I've spent 'on the street' so far is 3 hours, and I regretted that! We're averaging 50 door hangers per person in 42 minutes in my household (that is just myself and Thomas, 8 years old!) and Carol's crew are way ahead at 100 hangers per person, per hour (a 1/4 of which are army trained though - her son Alexander has arrived to help!). Carol's also doing well at gathering help (a fire woman who does the admin at the church in which she has her Tues pm group, and potentially a couple of young men who live accross the road).

I've found that crocs with socks are the most comfortable shoes (when you have blisters!) for doorhanging - any other ideas welcome (please!!). All I can say is that Consultants must all have the most solid of calves! Wearing sunglasses is not a good idea - I have "panda eyes" from my 3 hour stint yesterday - brown nose and face and white eyes - attractive!

I've been told of two apartment blocks in The Colony that have 250 apartments per block where the manager of the block (if they like you!) will hang your hangers for you. I have to say, it's very tempting, but I know that it wouldn't count as part of my prongs, as I wouldn't know that they had hung them.....what would you do? Post your answers on the comments link............

I'm handing over the writing of the blog to Carol for the weekend, as we're moving into our house on Friday - yes, we really are!!!! It's buggered up the community activities that I had planned for Friday and Saturday (where's my commitment?!), so back to the drawing board next week...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Yvonne, first of all it is great to read your updates, rooting for you and Carol (although feels like much of the praise should be for Thomas, what a super star!). Door hanging sure sounds like a great fit for future Consultants over there (fewer broken nails!!). I'm sure the managers at the blocks in the Colony will like both you and Thomas - how about doing 500 extra door hangers (above your minimum number to be delievered personally). You could call by with some HiFi's and a Slimming World Mug (for the morning "caffee")or if you have no stock yet some home made Slimming World Scan Bran Cakes! As the move has delayed your community activities it is an easy extra which could help plug some of that gap. With all the monitoring you'll be doing you'll soon know if it is valid to do again next time ... Happy home moving! Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yvonne & Carol

    Hope all is well, really routing for you on Monday, looking forward to the updates.

    As for footwear!! FitFlops are the way forward, I wouldn't be without mine. They are much cheaper in the states too. Work your legs & buttocks as you walk so that's a bonus too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yvonne and Carol...sounds like you are both having lots of fun even though it is a lot of hard work!! I am following with great interest as my hubby is hoping to get work in the USA next year and I would love to be able to continue being a consultant over there! Good luck with your first groups they will be fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting for new blogs with anticipation, need to know how things are going with the openings coming up shortly.... Good luck wish I was there to help you! Denise

    ReplyDelete